Sunday, March 06, 2005

Another report of unidentified local tracks

Cut and pasted from www.perfectduluthday.com:

"Yesterday I went out to check on the yurt I built in Lake County to see if it had collapsed under the weight of the snow (it was still standing...three winters now...those Mongolinas are so smart!). Sans snowshoes, my dog and I walked through knee-to-hip deep snow for about a half-mile. Even as a tall person my tracks were a foot apart or less. Yes, it was exhausting. My dog loved it. Along with many obvious deer trails and smaller tracks in the snow, I came upon a single set of very large, wide and elongated human-like tracks. Each "step" was 4 to 5 feet apart and each imprint went to the bottom of the snowpack, unlike snowshoes. My first thought was maybe a moose was "hopping" through the woods, but upon inspection they were clearly single-footed tracks. Not even the tallest person in the world wearing snowshoes could stride like that through such deep snow. What the?"

It is noted in the comments at perfect duluth day that moose step their hind feet straight into the tracks made by their front feet, so seemingly bipedal tracks do not rule out a moose origin.

UPDATE: ... but as Vicarious says in the comments, the tracks spotted are not all-in-a-line like a moose leaves. So there you have it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home